MENOPAUSE IS A NATURAL TRANSITION PERIOD IN EVERY WOMAN LIFE, IT MARKS THE END OF A WOMAN’S MENSTRUAL PERIODS AND PREGNANCY IS NO LONGER POSSIBLE.
What happens at Menopause?
Decrease in the level of chemical substances i.e., Harmones (ESTROGEN, PROGESTERONE AND TESTOSTERONE) produced from the Ovary.
How do you know about it?
- Cessation of Menstural cycle for the past twelve months.
- Average age is 46 years in India.
MENOPAUSE – PHASES
PERI MENOPAUSE – Irregular Cycles (May have Symptoms)
MENOPAUSE – No Period for the past 12 months(May have Symptoms)
Abnormal bleeding may be a sign of a problem like Hormonal Imbalance, Fibroids, Edinomyosis, Cancer.
Why does MENOPAUSE happen?
As a part of ageing Ovaries stop producing the female hormones. Even Woman’s body reacts different to the fluctuation and decreasing levels of hormones.
TYPES OF MENOPAUSE:
1) Natural: when there is no period for 12 months
2) Surgical: sometimes both of the ovaries are removed at the same time as the uterus. this causes menopause to happen all at once, not slowly as with natural menopause. this is called surgical menopause.
3) Medical Menopause: another way that menopause happens is when a woman has certain medical treatments for cancer. chemotherapy and radiation can sometimes dmage the ovaries so they no longer make hormones. this is called medical menopause and it can happen slowly or all at once.
1) PREMATURE MENOPAUSE – when periods stop before the age of 40 years. these women need hormone therapy in order to protect the brain, heart & bones
2) HYSTERECTOMY – removing the uterus where the periods stop but ovaries still produce hormones. so after hysterectomy, a woman can still have natural menopause about the same time as she can have natural menopause.
*****RISKS OF PROBLEMS OF AGING AND MENOPAUSE DIABETES, THYROID, HTN, INCREASED CHOLESTEROL, OBESITY, OSTEOPOROSIS, OSTEOARTHRITIS, BLADDER CONTROL PROBLEMS, DEMENTIA*****
Why MENOPAUSE is so significant?
a) Average life span of a woman has increased from 23 years in the Roman era to 68 years. one-third of the life spent after menopause.
b) Key to achieving optimal health and quality of life is to begin or reinforce health promotion programs.
c) Being informed helps in taking the responsible choice of a healthy lifestyle and regular clinical checkup.